Last week, Google completed free unlimited storage for users worldwide. From June 1, 2021, you will have to pay a fee to use Google Photos when the free 15GB storage cap expires.
If you have been using Google Photos for many years and want to continue to use the service for free, back up all your data today and create some space.
You need to use Google Takeout to backup your photos and videos from Google Photos on your personal laptop, mobile phone or tablet.
Google offers a tool called Tagout, which allows you to easily take all your content and copy it to your computer’s hard drive. The problem with retrieving is that the resulting .zip files are very difficult to navigate. It’s easy and useful to select photos / videos using Google Photos and download them to your computer. Select by first clicking on the photo, then last click on a group. Click the 3-point menu and select Download All. Problem – In this practice you are limited to 500 downloads.
But, if you first add photos to an album, that 500 limit is 20,000. Once the photos are in an album you can open the album, click on the 3-point menu and download it all.
Download Photo Album on the Web:
- Click ‘Albums’ in the left menu.
- Select the album you want to share.
- Click on the three dots in the upper right corner and select ‘Download All’.
- Google will then download a zip file containing photos from your album.
Download multiple photo albums
- You can download multiple albums (or all your albums) using Google Takeout, which allows you to export data from your Google Account:
- Go to your account ‘Download your data’ page
- Click ‘Delete all’ (because this page automatically verifies every Google service you use)
- Go to the bottom page for Google Photos and select it by clicking the checkbox
- Click the button that says ‘All Photo Albums Included’
- Again, click ‘Delete All’ and check the boxes of the albums you want to download
How to download album using mobile photos app
You can’t. However, there are two packages that you can use.
For example, you can use Google Takeout using your mobile device’s browser and the steps listed above.
Photos in the album can also be shared via email or Google Drive and then downloaded from there.
1. In the Photos app, select Albums from the bottom of the screen.
2. Tap the album you want to download.
3. Press and hold the first photo until you see a check in the box in the upper left corner of the photo.
4. Then drag your finger down until all the photos in the album are checked.
5. Tap the ‘Share’ icon at the top right of the screen.
6. From here, you can email your photos or save them to Google Drive and download from there.
Professional bacon fanatic. Explorer. Avid pop culture expert. Introvert. Amateur web evangelist.