- To download a language in the translation app on the iPhone running iOS 14, open the list of languages and then select a language from the “Available Offline Languages” section.
- Downloading a language will store its dictionary on your iPhone, allowing you to translate even when you do not have an Internet connection.
- Visit Business Insider’s Technical Reference Library for more stories.
The iPhone’s translation app is new to iOS 14, a conversational translation app that works with a dozen languages.
By default, the application relies on an Internet connection to translate text. But you can also download languages for offline use, which is convenient if you need to use the app when you are in an area where there is no cellular or wifi coverage.
How To Download Languages In Translation On iPhone
1. Launch the translation app.
2. At the top of the screen, tap one of the language boxes. The one on the left is set to “English US” by default.
3. Go to the “Offline Languages Available” section and tap the language you want to download on your phone. It will download on your phone, which may take a few moments. When it is done, you should see a checkmark indicating that it has been downloaded.
4. A downloaded language does not apply to 2-way dialogs, so choose any other languages you would like to download. When you’re done, tap “Done”.
After you download languages to the iPhone, you can select those languages in the app and use them for translation when you do not have internet access.
If you re-enable your translations, you will notice that the application uses a lower quality voice while in offline mode. Whenever you have access to the internet, the app will be the default to use the online version and you will hear high quality voice.
Insider Inc. earns a commission when you purchase through our links.
Professional bacon fanatic. Explorer. Avid pop culture expert. Introvert. Amateur web evangelist.
Best casino games for Nintendo fans
Top 4 Nintendo Switch games with the best music
The top casino games for Nintendo Gamers