=

Meghan and Harry cut four British tabloids

Watch Harry and Meghan at final royal event

The newspapers – the Daily Mail, the Sun, the Mirror and the Express – were informed of the new policy in a letter sent on Sunday on behalf of Meghan and Harry and shared with CNN by a source close to the couple. The new couple approach also applies to Sunday and online editions of these publications.

In the letter, the couple said they believe that a free press “is the cornerstone of any democracy” but adds that “there is a real human cost” in the way the tabloids do their business.

“It is of great concern that an influential segment of the media, for many years, has sought to evade responsibility for what they say or print – even when they know it is distorted, false or pervasive beyond When the power is appreciated without responsibility, the trust that we all place in this industry if necessary is degraded, “the letter said.

The couple have had some tough times with the media since meeting and speaking out against what they say is the relentless and aggressive cover of Meghan in particular. Prince Harry described part of his wife’s blanket as containing “racial undertones”.

Last year, 72 women members of the British Parliament wrote a joint letter condemning its coverage, calling it “colonial”, “out of date” and invasive of privacy.

The letter sent to British newspapers indicates that the Duke and Duchess and their communications team will not engage in any way with the outlets. “There will be no corroboration and no commitment,” he said.

“This policy is not intended to avoid criticism,” the letter continues. “It is not a question of ending a public conversation or of censoring specific reports. The media have every right to report and to have an opinion on the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, good or bad. But it cannot be based on a lie. “

“What they will not do is offer themselves money to save bait and distortion.”

Reach PLC, the publisher of the Mirror and Express, declined to comment. The Sun and the Daily Mail did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Following the couple’s shocking announcement in January that they were considering retiring from their official duties as active members of the royal family, several British tabloids have increased their attention to Meghan, dubbing the “Megxit” movement. Some accused her of turn Harry into a “prankster” and leave him behind to face the fall while she joined their son in Canada.
Harry and Meghan also tore apart the traditional way the royal family dealt with the press, first by announcing that they no longer participate in pool of British journalists who for decades has covered all royal events and shares information and photos with other media.
Harry and Meghan launch a new charity called Archewell
The couple are also pursuing legal action against three of the tabloids. Last October, Meghan sued the Sunday edition of the Daily Mail, the Mail on Sunday, for publishing private letters to her father, whose couple said they were selectively edited. Days later Prince Harry sued owners of Sun and Daily Mirror for allegedly hacking his voice messages.
Monday, Meghan filed a reply memory as part of the lawsuit against the Mail Sunday. A virtual hearing on the matter is scheduled to take place on Friday.

The Mail defended itself, claiming that there was a “huge and legitimate” public interest in publishing the letter.

– Max Foster contributed to this report.

source–>http://rss.cnn.com/~r/rss/edition_world/~3/tWIYK7rWQZM/index.html

Recommended For You

About the Author: Aygen

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

=