What is an M.2 SSD?
PS5 System Software Beta users can install high-speed SST Media (purchased separately) to expand the storage capacity of their PS5 console or PS5 Digital Edition console. We recommend that you verify that you have received a call to beta before purchasing the new M.2 SSD.
Why add an M.2 SSD to your PS5 console?
Once installed on the PS5 console, an M2 SST storage device can be used to download, copy, or launch PS5 and PS4 games and multimedia applications. So you can increase the storage space on your PS5 console. You can move the games as you wish between the PS5 console storage, the USB extended storage device attached to it and the additional M2 SST storage.
What M.2 SSDs can I use on the PS5 console?
It is important to use only a compatible M.2 SSD to expand the storage of your PS5 console. Be sure to use an M.2 SSD that meets the following criteria. Please note that since this is a beta version, the final specifications may change before the official computer software is released.
M2 SST requirements for PS5 consoles
Interface : SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 x4
Ability : 250 for போக 4 to go
Cooling system : To use the M.2 SSD with your PS5 console, it must have an efficient heat dissipation system with a cooling system such as a heating system. You can add one to your M.2 SSD, whether it is single sided or double sided. M.2 SSDs are also available with built-in cooling structures (such as heat sinks).
Continuous reading speed : Minimum speed of 5,500 MB / s is recommended
Block width : 22mm (25mm wide disks not supported)
Form : 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 and 22110 (type M.2)
These specifications can be found in the sales information for M.2 SSD devices. The first two digits are for width and the remaining digits are for length.
Type socket : Socket 3 (M key)
Total dimensions with cooling system :
- In millimeters: less than 110 mm (length) x 25 mm (width) x 11.25 mm (height).
- In inches: 4.33 ” (length) x 0.984 ” (width) x 0.442 ” (height),
Full requirements are listed below.
22mm wide M.2 SSD module required.
The total structure (including the additional cooling system) should not exceed 25 mm (of 0.984).
The total height of the M.2 solid-state drive and its cooling system (for example, a heat sink) should be less than 11.25 mm (0.442 inches) if the latter is integrated or assembled separately.
The height must also be adjusted according to the circuit board of the M.2 SSD:
- The space under the cover should be less than 2.45 mm (0.096 inches).
- The total space above the card should be less than 8 mm (0.314 inches).
. Needed in millimeters before purchase.)
- Both single and double sided M.2 SSD devices are supported.
- M.2 SATA SSDs are not supported.
- Before purchasing anything, carefully review the driver specifications and contact the distributor or manufacturer if you need clarity. SIE makes no warranty on the functionality of M.2 SSD devices for the specifications recommended with your console, and assumes no responsibility for the selection, performance or use of third-party products.
- Not all games enjoy the same performance as the PS5 console’s ultra-fast internal SST, although the M2 SST device’s continuous read speed is over 5500 MB / s.
- Most M.2 SSD devices with the above type numbers (2230, 2242, 2260, 2280, and 22110, key type M) without a built-in cooling system fit in the SSD slot of the PS5 console. However, The dimensions of the cooling structures (such as heat sinks) vary considerably. If you do not know if the M.2 solid-state drive or cooling cloth (such as a heat sink) meets the required dimensions shown in this document, we recommend that you consider another product or contact your supplier or manufacturer. For more details.
“Avid writer. Subtly charming alcohol fanatic. Total twitter junkie. Coffee enthusiast. Proud gamer. Web aficionado. Music advocate. Zombie lover. Reader.”