Apple finally releases the most anticipated and leaked OS version of the year, iOS 16. During the WWDC event, Apple announced new OS versions like iOS 16, iPadOS 16, watchOS 9, macOS 13 and more. But iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 are the two most interesting OS of the event.
Update: Apple has finally released the public beta of iOS 16. This means that anyone with eligible iPhones or iPads can test iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 without a developer account. See full guide for installation instructions.
After the Apple Keynote session, Apple released the first beta of iOS 16 and iPadOS 16. But it’s only available to developers, and a third developer beta is expected in July (available now) before the public beta. .
I think you have been waiting for iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 for a long time. Why shouldn’t you, the new iOS 16 comes with many new features, including the much-awaited features like lock screen customization. Now available in developer beta and public beta, you can now get it on your iPhone. Here we are going to share how to download and install iOS 16 Beta and iPadOS 16 Beta on eligible iPhones and iPads respectively.
So let’s start the guide with some manageable steps.
iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 eligible
After the iOS 16 announcement, Apple also shared the iOS 16 qualification. iOS 16 deserves something different than what we all expected. iOS 16 drops support for five iPhones. If you’re using older iPhones, unfortunately you won’t be able to get iOS 16. You can see iOS 16 supported iPhones.
iOS 16 supported device list:
- Upcoming iPhone series (iPhone 14)
- iPhone 13
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone Xs
- iPhone Xs Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone SE (2nd generation)
- iPhone SE (3rd generation)
iPhone SE 1st generation, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus are no longer supported for new major iOS updates.
List of iPadOS 16 supported devices:
- iPad (5th generation and later)
- iPad mini (5th generation and later)
- iPad Air (3rd generation and later)
- iPad Pro models (all)
If you have an iPhone or iPad from the eligible list and want to try the new iOS 16 beta or iPadOS 16 beta, follow the steps below.
We assume that you have already done a full backup of your device using iCloud or iTunes or a local backup using Finder. We recommend creating a local backup. You can downgrade to iOS 15.5 without losing data if you have a backup.
How to Install iOS 16 Public Beta
If you don’t have a developer account, you can install the public beta on your device. The process is simple. Follow the given steps.
Download the iOS 16 Public Beta Profile
- open Apple Beta Program page in your browser.
- Now sign in with your Apple ID and select and tap on iOS Register your iOS device. iPadOS if you have an iPad.
- Tap on the second option i.e. Install Profile Download profile button.
- You will get a pop-up, tap on it permission.
Install the iOS 16 beta profile
- Once the profile is downloaded, open Settings on your iPhone/iPad.
- On the Settings page, you will see the Downloaded profile option, tap on it. If not available above, you can find it General > VPN & Device Management > Uploaded Profile.
- Now on the profile page, tap Install Top right corner.
- It will now be installed on your device.
Download and install iOS 16 Public Beta
You are now almost done and ready to download the latest public beta. Let’s take a look at the remaining steps to install the public beta.
- Make sure you have at least 10 GB of free space.
- Then go ahead Settings > General.
- Go now Software upgrade page.
- It will display the latest iOS 16 public beta.
- press on Download and install button to start the download.
- After the reboot, you can enjoy the latest iOS 16 public beta.
How to Install iOS 16 Developer Beta
Get a developer account
Since iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 are currently only available to developers, you need a developer account to get iOS 16 beta and iPadOS 16 beta.
The public beta of iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 will be available in July, along with a third developer beta. You can also create a developer account, which is paid.
If you have an Apple Developer account, you can skip to the next step.
Download iOS 16 Developer Beta Profile (Configuration Profile)
To get the latest iOS 16 Dev Beta and iPadOS 16 Dev Beta via OTA update, you need to install the profile. So you need to download iOS 16 or iPadOS 16 beta profile first. Follow the steps given below.
- Go on Apple Beta Software Program Site on your iPhone/iPad.
- Tap the three lines in the left corner and select Discover > iOS.
- Then tap the download button on the right corner.
- Now Sign in to your developer account.
- On the next page, find the correct operating system in the list and press it Install/Download Profile > Authenticate.
Install the iOS 16 Developer Beta Profile
- After the last step of download, go to Settings app on your iPhone/iPad.
- At the top you will see “More for your iPhone” tap on it. or go to General > VPN & Device Management > Uploaded Profile.
- Select the iOS 16 beta software profile.
- On the next screen, tap Install And follow the on-screen steps.
- After installing the profile, restart your iPhone or iPad.
Download and install iOS 16 beta
Now that the beta profile is installed on your iPhone or iPad, you can finally install the first iOS 16 beta or iPadOS 16 beta. Here’s how to download and install iOS 16 Beta 1 and iPadOS 16 Beta 1.
- Connect your phone to a charging station and Wi-Fi to the Internet.
- Open Settings on your device.
- Now go to General > Software Update.
- You can find the new iOS 16 beta on iPhone or the iPadOS 16 beta on iPad.
- Tap Download and install button.
- After installation the device will reboot.
- Now you can enjoy the latest iOS 16 beta 1 and iPadOS 16 beta 1.
So here is how you can download and install iOS 16 beta and iPadOS 16 beta. You can install the first beta version of iOS 16 or iPadOS 16 with IPSW files, which are also available in the developer account when you register for the new beta. This requires Finder on a Mac.
Have you installed the first beta of iOS 16? If so, what was your experience and what new features have you localized? Let us know in the comments section.
Professional bacon fanatic. Explorer. Avid pop culture expert. Introvert. Amateur web evangelist.