The management of the South Korean boy band BTS apologized after one of the group’s members went to bars while the country’s strict social distancing rules were in place.
BTS, which has seven members, is one of the biggest groups around the world – last year it became the first group in the history of Billboard to spend five weeks at the top of the Billboard Artist 100 list.
Jungkook – who is the youngest member of the group at 22 – visited bars and restaurants in the Itaewon nightlife district of Seoul on April 25, BTS label Big Hit Entertainment said in a communicated.
At the time, South Korea was still subject to strict rules of social distancing and citizens were encouraged to stay at home and limit unnecessary contact with others. These social distancing rules were lifted on May 6.
A total of 187 cases of coronavirus have been linked to a group of Itaewon nightclubs, Kwon Jun-wook, deputy director of the country’s central disease control headquarters, said on Tuesday. The first case reported in this cluster was a 29-year-old man who visited several clubs in Itaewon on the night of May 1 and the early hours of May 2.
In the statement, Big Hit said Jungkook was out with friends on April 25. But he didn’t go to the places the patient had visited in early May, said Big Hit.
“After his visit, there were no symptoms of coronavirus, including cough or fever; and he had voluntarily taken the test in a designated clinic and the result was negative. The artist himself deeply regrets for not having faithfully participated in the big social event “strive to distance yourself from society”, the statement said.
Learn more about the Itaewon cluster: