BeIN, which has exclusive rights to the Premier League in the Middle East and North Africa, has written separate letters to the Premier League and several club presidents in light of a proposed takeover of Newcastle.
The tripartite consortium that is trying to take over the club includes the Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund (PIF), which is chaired by Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
In a letter sent by beIN CEO Yousef Al-Obaidly to Premier League CEO Richard Masters, Al-Obaidly alludes to the “direct role” that Saudi Arabia played in the “launch, promotion and operation” of alleged beoutQ pirate streaming service.
“We consider it essential for the Premier League to thoroughly investigate the potential purchaser of the club, including all directors, officers and other representatives of KSA PIF or other Saudi entities involved or otherwise providing financing for the acquisition, “the letter said.
“Our request is based solely on the past and present theft of Saudi Arabia of your intellectual property rights and those of your member clubs.”
BeoutQ has not responded to previous email requests for CNN comments on its activities in the past few months.
CNN attempted to contact the Saudi media ministry regarding the piracy allegations, but received no response.
The Premier League declined to comment when contacted by CNN.
BeIN previously accused beoutQ of tearing up its stream and sports commentary of live matches, replacing the beIN logo with a beoutQ logo.
The Premier League previously accused beoutQ of violating its intellectual property rights “on a systematic and widespread basis”.
The league also released a statement in July that it had contacted nine law firms in Saudi Arabia for legal advice, which “simply refused to act on our behalf or initially accepted instructions, but later for recuse yourself “.
The allegations of piracy come after Amnesty International accused the PIF of “sports washing” and using the Premier League as a “public relations tool to divert attention from the country’s abysmal human rights record”.
CNN made several attempts to contact Saudi officials and the PIF about Amnesty criticism, but received no response.
In September 2019, a Premier League report said that pirated beoutQ broadcasts were “transmitted using satellite infrastructure owned and operated by Arabsat”.
Arabsat did not immediately respond to CNN’s request for comment.
British lawmaker Clive Betts on Friday called on the government to take action.
“The issue of beoutQ hacking should be an immediate priority for regulatory review of the takeover of Newcastle United,” said Betts, chairman of the all-party parliamentary football group.
“While the Premier League must seriously consider any potential conflict between the ownership of a football club and the alleged three-year theft of UK media rights by the future owner, government should play a role, not sit on a bench. “
Oliver Dowden, the UK secretary of state for digital, culture, media and sports, said earlier this week that it was up to the Premier League to handle the deal.