Pokemon GO update is rolling out, with new Gym features and Raid Battles
The long-awaited Pokemon GO update is finally here! Niantic is currently rolling out version 1.37.1 for iOS and version 0.67.1 for Android of its application, and this one is a major facelift. So, let’s take a look at what’s waiting for us in this shiny new update.
First, Gyms have been completely upgraded. Now, spinning the Photo Disc gives items similar to PokeStops, and Gyms can be heavily guarded with six permanent slots that can be filled by the controlling team’s Pokemon. An all-new motivation system is also added to significantly change how you interact with Gyms: when a Pokémon is assigned to a Gym, a motivation meter will be displayed. Pokémon assigned to defend a Gym lose motivation over time, which makes their CP decrease, making it easier for opposing teams to defeat. Therefore, if you hold a Gym, you’ll need to keep your defending Pokémon motivated by giving them Berries.
In addition, Niantic is implementing a Raid Battle feature, which is exactly what we’ve had a glimpse at in the reveal trailer last year with Mewtwo. In this new type of battle, Trainers can join forces to take down a powerful Raid Boss and gain rare items.
Here are the full patch notes and screenshots below:
- Gym features significantly updated to add the all-new motivation system.
- Added new Gym Badge feature.
- Added in-app and push notification system for Gyms.
- Added Raid Battles, a new cooperative gameplay experience.
- Added four new items available only by completing Raid Battles.
- Added Raids tab to Nearby screen.
- Added search functionality to Pokémon collection screen.
- Added visual indicator to unvisited PokéStops.