The Nintendo Spotlight at E3 2017 is now closed an BigN finally unveiled loads of details on the upcoming adventures of the beloved plumber in Super Mario Odyssey, coming this October 27th on Switch. This time, Mario and his friends invite you to join a massive globe-trotting 3D adventure. Use his incredible new abilities to collect Moons that power up your airship – the Odyssey – and rescue Princess Peach from Bowser’s wedding plans! So sit tight, here’s all the goodness we’ve learned today from Nintendo and the various websites around that tried the game.
Explore huge 3D kingdoms filled with secrets and surprises, including costumes for Mario and lots of ways to interact with the diverse environments—such as cruising around them in vehicles that incorporate the HD Rumble feature of the Joy-Con™ controller or exploring sections as Pixel Mario.
Thanks to his new friend, Cappy, Mario has brand-new moves for you to master, like cap throw, cap jump and capture. With capture, Mario can take control of all sorts of things, including objects and enemies!
Visit astonishing new locales, like skyscraper-packed New Donk City, and run into familiar friends and foes as you try to save Princess Peach from Bowser’s clutches and foil his dastardly wedding plans.
A set of three new amiibo™ figures*—Mario, Princess Peach and Bowser in their wedding outfits—will be released at launch. Some previously released amiibo will also be compatible with this title. Tap supported amiibo to receive gameplay assistance—some amiibo will also unlock costumes for Mario when scanned!
- Development started right after 3D World shipped in 2013
- Your hat is called Cappy. He’s your pal, your weapon, a platform, a tool to capture and a way to collect items
- Capturing is a way to get new powers: Bullet Bills, Fireballs, Lightbulbs, Binoculars, Chain Chomp, etc
- Big change, there won’t be lives. Instead, when you die, you loose coins
- The world is divided in Kingdoms that you’ll visit with the Odyssey
- Each Kingdom has checkpoints, that are also fast travel points
- After Shines and Stars, you’ll now collect Moons. Some are mandatory for the story
- Shops sell outfits to blend in each universe Mario will travel to
- To buy stuff, you’ll have the yellow standard coins, and special purple trinkets specific to each kingdom
- A special “Wedding” amiibo series will be sold at launch: