Nintendo has finally unveiled new details on its upcoming paid online service for the Switch, known as “Nintendo Switch Online” (probably to be called NSO later on). As stated before by BigN, this new service will allow players to enjoy online multiplayer, it will add online lobby and voice chat features via a dedicated smartphone app, and unlock special eShop deals throughout the year.
However, unlike they previously said, subscribers won’t get access to a different game each month. Instead, the Nintendo Switch Online includes ongoing access to a library of classic games you can take anywhere, with added online features. We don’t know yet if and how this is going to affect the still awaited Switch Virtual Console.
More details are planned to be unveiled soon, most probably during the Nintendo Spotlight presentation at E3.
- Free until 2018: Play co-op and competitive online games with any Nintendo Account for free during this trial period.
- 1-Month Membership (in 2018): $3.99/ €3,99
- 3-Month Membership (in 2018): $7.99 / €7,99
- 12-Month Membership (in 2018): $19.99 / $19.99
Features (launching in 2018)
- Online Lobby and Voice Chat: A dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games. A free, pre-release version of this smart device app will be available in summer 2017.
- Classic Game Selection: Ongoing access to a library of classic games with added online play, including NES games (ex. Super Mario Bros. 3, Balloon Fight, Dr. Mario). Users can play as many of the games as they want, as often as they like, as long as they have an active subscription. More games will be announced at a later date, Super NES games are still under consideration.
- Exclusive promotions: Special member-only price promotions for certain products in Nintendo eShop