Independent gaming has come a long way these last years and is now widely recognised as a neverending fountain of creativity. There are those games that perfect a genre and speak to the hardcore gamer in us with some brilliant gameplay, for example Super Meat Boy, and there are those that mix up styles into all-new gaming bonanzas, like the upcoming Switch eShop title Golf Story.
Born in the heart of studio Sidebar Games, Golf Story is the curious child of Mario Golf and Stardew Valley, a golf adventure featuring “dramatic story with a diverse cast of characters”. Intriguing isn’t it? Due to hit the eShop during Summer, the official website of the game promises RPG mechanics (ex. upgradable characters) coated with Sports must-haves (ex. tournaments). Here’s a full description of Golf Story, followed by a trailer:
Play the story of a golfer, forced to give up all that he holds dear for one final shot at accomplishing his dream.
But all is not so simple in the world of golf. To best today’s players you have to be able to keep up with them not just on the course, but also off it.
Here are some of the things you can do in the game:
- Tee up anywhere! You’ll be surprised by how many problems can be solved by hitting a golf ball at them.
- Explore eight unique environments, each with their own courses, towns, people, and secrets.
- Play through a dramatic story with a diverse cast of characters.
- Upgrade your golfer by completing challenges, solving puzzles and buying new equipment.
- Round out your skill set with long driver tournaments, disc golf, mini golf, and wee links. Then go beyond golf with extra challenges like races, mowing, drone flights, and geocaching.