In addition to the two already well known Sonic “classic” and “modern” styles that SEGA introduced in their upcoming next adventure Sonic Forces, a third secret character was still unknown. Until now. For the first time in the series’ history, we’ll be able to go even further than incarnate the blue hedgehog, we’ll be the hero we want thanks to a custom character.
Simply called “Custom Hero Character” (we’ll probably get to name him/her), this new avatar wields a variety of powerful unique gadgets called Wispons, an evolution of the Color Powers from Sonic Colors, and a grappling hook used to quickly traverse across levels. But most interestingly, we’ll pick this character’s appearance by swapping between hundreds of outfit options and by choosing one of seven animal types, each with varying special abilities:
- Wolf – Automatically draws in rings when near them
- Rabbit – Has longer invincible time after receiving damage
- Cat – Keeps one ring after being hit
- Dog – Restarts with five rings after the player dies
- Bear – Blows away enemies with a homing attack
- Bird – Flies high with double jump abilities
- Hedgehog – Collects rings when getting damaged
Regarding his/her role in Sonic Forces’ storyline, SEGA confirms that the custom hero character “will be a key part of the story, appearing not only in cutscenes, but by being a crucial element in helping Sonic reclaim the world from Eggman’s domination”. That’s for sure the feeling we get from looking at the two new trailers below.