Pokemon GO receives BAFTA Games Mobile Award
Another victory for the mobile phenomenon
Pokemon GO is without a doubt the biggest mobile game phenomenon that ever was. Since its release in July 2016, more than 65 million players have spent countless hours travelling across the land, searching far and wide, living the life of a Pokémon Trainer and catching ’em all! And all this success got developer Niantic Labs and The Pokémon Company to raffle a whole bunch of prizes, including the “Mobile Award” of the year at the 13th BAFTA Games Awards ceremony.
— BAFTA Games (@BAFTAGames) April 6, 2017
Following this ceremony, the Niantic Lab. team published an update on their website to thank each and everyone of us players for this prize and all the previous one they’ve received, on behalf of Niantic and The Pokémon Company. The developers also take a few moments to introduce the future of Pokemon GO, teasing upcoming “all new cooperative social gameplay experiences” during Spring.
Yesterday, Pokémon GO won the Best Mobile and Handheld Game at the British Academy of Film, Television and Arts Game Awards. We are surprised and grateful to be awarded this honor.
We owe the continued momentum and recognition to the dedicated players exploring the world and creating adventures together in Pokémon GO. Each and every award Pokémon GO has won is a testament to the game’s awesome and supportive community. We haven’t had a chance to thank everyone for each of these, so please accept a collective thank you now on behalf of all of us at Niantic and our partners at The Pokémon Company for all of these amazing honors including, but not limited to:
- Adweek’s Hot List – Hottest Digital Obsession & Hottest Mobile Game
- Academy of Arts and Science’s D.I.C.E. Awards – Mobile Game of the Year
- BBC Radio 1’s Teen Awards – Best Game
- GameSpot – Best Mobile Games of the Year
- Golden Joystick Awards – Innovation of the Year & Handheld/Mobile Game of the Year
- GSMA Glomo Awards 2017 – Best Overall Mobile App
- IGN – Mobile Game of the Year
- SXSW Gaming Awards – Mobile Game of the Year
- TechCrunch’s Crunchies – Best App of the Year
- The Game Awards – Best Mobile/Handheld Game & Best Family Game
- The Game Developers Choice Awards – Best Mobile/Handheld Game
We continue to be inspired by the passion of the 65+ million people from around the world playing Pokémon GO each month. We’re still at the beginning of the journey and there’s a lot more to come. With spring arriving in the northern hemisphere, players can look forward to all new cooperative social gameplay experiences in Pokémon GO that will give Trainers new and exciting reasons to get back into the sunshine.
See you outside!
—The Niantic team