There’s always a big question that comes up when you see a game getting a port on a new console: what’s new that could justify putting my money in that game? Well, that’s exactly what everyone must be thinking right now for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, releasing 28 April on Nintendo Switch. This is why Nintendo UK shared a new overview video to give us all the details on what’s coming up in the latest multiplayer racing brawl game from Mushroom Kingdom.
The basics from Mario Kart 8
- All 48 tracks including Zelda & Animal Crossing DLC
- All 36 racers including Zelda & Animal Crossing DLC
- All 37 vehicle bodies including Zelda & Animal Crossing DLC and Mercedes update
- Free updates: 200cc engine mode, CPU racers, palette swaps for Yoshi/Shy Guy
- Up to 8 friends local multiplayer / 12 player multiplayer online
- All unlockable customisations coming from the amiibo sets
The Mario Kart 8 Deluxe new content
- 4 ways to play: TV mode (up to 4 players), Tabletop Mode (up to 2 players), Handheld mode (up to 8 players in local wireless), LAN Play (up to 24 players on 12 consoles connected in TV mode)
- Improved visuals + 1080p at 60fps on TV Mode, 720p at 60fps on Handheld Mode
- 6 new racers: Inkling Boy/Girl, King Boo, Dry Bones, Bowser Jr. and Metal Mario Gold (unlocked by beating all cups in 200cc)
- 3 new vehicles (including two inspired by Splatoon)
- Classic Battle Mode comes back with new modes (details below) + 8 arenas (ex. Urchin Underpass from Splatoon)
- Up to two items can now be held at the same time
- Two new items: Boo (races) and Feather (battle mode)
- Smart Steering feature for novice players
- New amiibo costumes for the Mii racer
- Third level “Ultra Turbo” Boost (details)
Classic Battle Mode is back !
- Balloon Battle: Pop the balloons of other players/team.
- Bob-omb Blast: Come back of the mode from Double Dash!! Use Bob-ombs to score points.
- Shine Thief: Also from Double Dash!! Steal the Shine Sprite and keep it until time runs out.
- Coin Runner: From Mario Kart 7. Collecting Coins scattered across the arena.
- Renegade Roundup: 2-team mode. One escapes, the other has to catch them using Piranha Plants.
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe comes out on 28 April worldwide, exclusively for Nintendo Switch.